Let’s see…how many dishes can I make that are taco inspired? I say unlimited! Tacos and anything flavoured using cumin, oregano, chilli powder is always gonna get a thumbs up in my house so I leverage those thumbs up on a regular basis.
Now that winter is here, I like to have a few comforting dishes kicking around that can be made in one pot and taken directly from the stove top to the kitchen table where everything can just tuck in and start eating. When I made this dish, I had the perfect piece of cookware in mind…the Le Creuset Stainless Steel Rondeau
Check it out here if you are interested:
I wanted to use something functional and something that looks good on my table when serving so my prayers were answered with this beauty! It’s also not lost on me that the beauty of this Rondeau distracts my dinner guests away from the fact that I’m carb loading HARD!
Okay, let’s get cooking. First I prep all of my ingredients, chopped bell peppers, onions, measure out my pasta, get my taco seasoning, spices, broth, chicken and cream ready to go
First we are going to start by sprinkling about half of the package of taco seasoning over the raw chicken before we cook it.
Next we are going to cook up the chicken until browned. Then set aside the chicken until later. Now you want to add a bit more oil to the pan and then start to sauté those onions and bell peppers. Add the smoked paprika and oregano, as well as the remaining taco seasoning and stir. Ideally you want the outsides to be charred so you get that lovely fajita taste. (My kid is super irrational about anything charred so I can’t always do this). Once the pepper and onion mixture is finished cooking (3-4 min), remove and set aside with the cooked chicken.
Now you want to take your canned fire roasted tomatoes, cream , chicken broth and pasta and add them all to the Rondeau. Stir together ingredients and bring the pasta to a boil. Once it’s at a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium and allow the pasta to cook for about 8 minutes (or your desired liking).
Once pasta is good to go and most of the liquid has reduced, add back in your chicken and peppers and mix together. This will become a delicious creamy pasta dish that is a unique twist on chicken fajitas.
Note to parents: I honestly started making this dish because my son loves tacos and fajitas and this was a way to incorporate more carbs and bulk up a bit. I find he is always still hungry after dinner (you know cuz he loves the DESSERT so it’s his tactic) and I am trying so hard to make sure he gets a balanced meal before the treats begin. I have been finding the pasta is keeping him more full!! Winning.
Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 2 chicken breasts chopped in to strips or cubes (bitesize pieces)
- 1 each-Yellow, Red and Green Bell Pepper chopped in to same size pieces as chicken
- 1 while onion chopped in to the same size pieces as everything else
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg envelope of taco seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 small can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 a cup half n half cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups pasta (penne, rotini, fusilli etc)
- Sprinkle half the envelope of taco seasoning over the raw chicken
- Heat oil in the Le Creuset Rondeau on medium high. Once warm, add seasoned chicken to pan and cook until the chicken is browned and fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside
- Add more olive oil if necessary and then start to sauté your onions and peppers. Sauté for 1-2 minutes first to get them cooking.
- Now add the remaining taco seasoning, smoked paprika and oregano to the veggies and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Remove
- Add chicken broth, cream, canned tomatoes to the rondeau and stir to combine
- Add dry pasta to the mixture and let everything come to a boil. Reduce to medium and allow the pasta to cook to your desired consistency. (8 min or so)
- The liquids will be mostly evaporated and it will turn the pasta in to a creamy sauce. Add your chicken and veggie mixture back in to the rondeau and make sure everything is mixed together.
- Bring the Rondeau over to the table and serve family style