It’s no secret that I like to get down with a little meal prep on the weekends. I enjoy preparing marinades, chopping veggies and just getting as prepped as I can to serve delicious food all week long with minimal effort Monday-Friday when I legit don’t have a lot of brain power left.
I have known for a long time that sides to the main course, are often the best part of the meal. I mean come on…thanksgiving would be nothing without all those tasty sidekicks ammmmiright? So having a few signature sidekicks in your arsenal always pays off and takes a rather standard entree to another dimension.
For me and my epic taco platters…the sidekicks are KEY! Don’t get me wrong…Salsa, Pico de Gallo and your standard taco toppings are one thing…pickled red onions…next level!! These little guys are flavour boosters to the max and are beyond simple to make in advance!
All you need is an Orange, a lime and a bit of salt to transform a regular red onion in to bright magenta pink onions that taste absolutely delicious on any form of taco or burrito.
First I cut my onion in half and then cut in to small strips (not too thin though). Once the onions are cut to your liking, stuff them in to a glass jar. Sprinkle with a bit of salt.
Next roll your citrus to release the juices. Cut your orange and your lime in half and squeeze them directly in to the glass jar with the onions.
You want to make sure that the citrus juice is covering most of the onions. If you need more, squeeze another lime or orange in to it. *I have used store bought orange juice and lime juice in a pinch when I don’t have the fresh citrus fruit on hand. It works just as well so don’t be stressin’.
Place the jar in your fridge and let it marinade over night. Typically the next day, I will open the lid and pour out a bit of the liquid. Place back in the fridge and they will normally transform in to a glorious fluorescent pink.
In my experience, these will last for 2 weeks in the fridge . I’m no food safety expert, so if that creeps you out…eat em up quickly.
Hope you like these little beauties and you are able to up your taco game!!
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 Red onion, sliced in to thin strips
- 1 large Naval or Cara Cara Orange
- 1 Lime
- 1 tsp of salt
- Place the sliced onions in a glass jar
- Add your salt and sprinkle over the onions
- Squeeze your lime and orange juice directly in to the glass jar, over top of the onions
- Ensure the onions are mostly covered in the juice. If you want to add another squeeze of citrus, add some more lime or orange juice.
- Place in the fridge overnight or until ready to use.
- Typically before I am going to serve, I will pour a bit of the citrus juice out and place back in the fridge. They will turn a beautiful bright pink.