I am longing for a vacation!! No but really!! I need a beach and a sunset and I feel like order would be restored. Looking at my bank account and the amount of work I have on my plate at the moment means the stars are NOT aligned and the only kinda sunset this gal is gonna see is on her dinner plate!
That’s right, I created a sunset slaw. Beauty colours of what I think of when I think of the most gorgeous sunset I’ve ever seen which was when I visited Puerto Vallarta last year in March…the purples, oranges, pinks …absolutely breathtaking. I get that cabbage and beets don’t really have the same vibe as sitting on a beach but at this point, I will take anything.
This slaw is super simple and I make it a lot for weekday lunches because I can add a quick protein and voila…easy lunch that packs maximum flavour.
First I like to make the dressing. I throw everything in to my blender and then blitz away. You can also add everything to a mason jar and shake the crap out of it. You won’t get a creamy consistency like you would with a high powered blender but it will still taste delicious.
Next get all of your ingredients ready to make the ‘slaw’. I use purple cabbage, raw golden beets, carrots, green onions and fresh mint. If Mint isn’t your thang…just leave it out, it’s all good.
I usually use a mandolin to slice the carrots and beets because then you get the nice long strips, with minimal effort. If you don’t have a mandolin, try a julienne peeler.
I love this slaw because you can honestly get all of your veggies ready and then dress later on so it’s a great make ahead meal. I also love it because I’m using a lot of root veggies, this salad (even dressed) holds up great for another few days so I can use it as a side, a topping for tacos…it’s pretty versatile.
Dressing (Sesame Ginger)
- 1/4 toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 avocado oil
- 1/4 rice vinegar
- 1/4 Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce if you aren’t focused on paleo/whole 30)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp ginger powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha
- 2 cups purple cabbage
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 golden beet shredded
- 4 green onions sliced
- Couple sprigs of mint , chopped fine
- Make your dressing and set aside until closer to when you plan to serve it. *if you are not using a blender to make the dressing, make sure you mince the garlic cloves. This isn’t necessary if using a blender because it will do the work for you.
- Chop all of the veggies. I would suggest using a mandolin or julienne peeler for the carrots and the beet so you can keep everything uniform shape and you will get those nice long strips.
- Combine all of the veggies, mint in a large bowl. Pour your desired amount of dressing all over the slaw and serve.
- The remaining dressing can be kept in the fridge and you can use at a later date