As you all know…I eat A LOT of tacos. Unlike most foods out there, tacos are something I NEVER get sick of…like ever! The possibilities are endless, you can wrap anything in a tortilla and you are 90% guaranteed it’s going to be delicious! Tacos bring people together.
For me, Tacos are the ultimate meal with friends. There is something so special about making different fixin’s, offering choices of hot sauces, salsas and you can go as humble or as fancy as you want. Sometimes the simple tacos are the tastiest and if you have a good base, you often only need some chopped onion and cilantro, splash of Valentina’s and you got yourself a wicked little flavour pocket.
A while back, a friend brought me a massive bag of frozen tiger shrimp (yup, you are totally right, I have some pretty amazing friends who consistently prove their friendship and thoughtfulness by bringing me food as gifts). I decided to change up my typical meat tacos and replace with shrimp. Wowsa! I was super impressed with how this little cuties turned out. The slaw brought everything together and really cooled down the bit of spice in the shrimps.
First lets make the slaw. Add oil, green onion, garlic, limes, cilantro, honey and salt to the blender and blitz until combined. If the dressing is too thick and you need to thin it out, add a bit of water or lime juice to help it along.
Shred at least 2 cups of green cabbage. Add one sliced green onion and some thinly sliced mint leaves to the bowl and combine until completely mixed. Pour your desired amount of dressing over the cabbage mixture and set aside. * I try to add little bits of dressing at a time so it doesn’t get too wet which will make the slaw too wilted.
Next we are going to get ready to make the shrimp. First we have to make a little spice blend. Combine ground cumin, Mexican Oregano, Ancho Chilli Powder, salt and cayenne together.
Now you want to pat your raw shrimp with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp on both sides.
Heat up a tsp of oil of your choice in a fry pan and when it’s hot, add your shrimp. Cook until each side is pink and cooked through. Only about 2 min per side.
Now all you are ready to devour this deliciousness. Seriously, start assembling these bad boys before a fight breaks out. People are going to want to eat these right away. Serve the slaw and shrimp in corn tortillas.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with a Honey Lime Slaw
Dressing for Slaw
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 green onion
- Small handful of cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- *water or extra lime juice to thin mixture out if required
Ingredients for Slaw
- 2 cups of shredded green cabbage
- 1 finely chopped green onion
- 5-6 mint leaves chopped fine
- 1-1.5lbs of raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tsp each: cumin, Mexican oregano (or reg if that’s what you have), ancho chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tsp oil (warmed in a fry pan to cook the shrimp)
- Make dressing for the slaw
- Shred cabbage, chop green onion and mint and mix together in a bowl
- Add desired amount of dressing to the cabbage mixture and set aside
- Create spice mixture
- Pat shrimp dry to remove excess moisture
- Heat up oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of shrimp and when oil is hot, add spiced shrimp to the fry pan and cook for 2 min on each side or until the shrimp turns pink and is fully cooked.
- Assemble the tacos
- Crush the tacos