The last few days before off before I have to go back to work and of course I am cooking up a storm and trying to get organized for what I know is going to be one heck of a busy month. I don’t know about you but it seems like every time I take time off, I go back to work and it is crazy busy. Not sure if it’s pay back for being off or if everyone is so darn rested that they have recharged their batteries to super speed plus. At any rate, I know once i’m back in the hustle and bustle of working full time, pick up drop off day care, husbands shifts…things will get hectic real quick. I don’t really do resolutions but the one thing I have vowed to get on top of this year and to stay committed to is not falling in to the convenience game when it comes to food…meaning, getting lazy and picking up food when I know there is plenty in our fridge/pantry. In an effort to stay true to this, I have been whipping up batches of freezer meals and sauces so we are pretty much golden and good to go!!
Today I will share my recipe for Apricot Chicken Skillet. It’s a simple and quick recipe that is great served with quinoa, rice or couscous. The bonus here is that this little gem freezes great so its a great meal to make a huge batch of and eat it for dinner that night and then freeze it for a future date.
First you want to heat the oil and brown your diced chicken pieces in a large skillet. (I use a big deep dish skillet so that I have lots of room for all of the ingredients).
Add onion and celery to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the onions to get translucent. Then you can add the red peppers, apricots, tomatoes, dried thyme and bacon and stir to mix. Let that cook for about 2 minutes.
Add your chicken or veggie broth, stir to mix and then let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes. The juice will come out of the tomatoes and your apricots will plump up as well.
After 25 minutes, if the mixture is too thick, just add a bit of water or broth to thin it out a bit.
Sprinkle the parsley on top at the very end. I served mine with some brown rice and it was delicious.
Apricot Chicken Skillet
- 2 Chicken Breasts diced small
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced small
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- I cup dried apricots chopped
- 2-3 slices of bacon diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp Italian (Flat Leaf) parsley (chopped fine)
- Heat skillet on medium, add tbsp of evoo and add chicken. Cook for a few minutes until the chicken is browned.
- Add onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Next add your tomatoes, apricots, bacon and thyme. Stir and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the veggie or chicken broth, stir, cover then let cook for 25 to 30 minutes on medium.
- Serve with brown rice, couscous, quinoa. Sprinkle the parsley on at the very end.
This packs excellent for a work lunch the next day and can be frozen. I usually freeze the sauce in a large zip loc bag to save space and then when I want to use it, I will take it out the morning of and let it defrost in the fridge all day while I am at work. Just warm it up in a pot or skillet while you cook some rice to serve with it. Super easy meal.